Kathleen's Reviews > My Antonia

My Antonia by Willa Cather

Jul 15, 08

bookshelves: classics

What a dear, wonderful story that I just want to clutch to my heart and keep forever. It brings back to me such feelings of love and connectedness to the land as I haven't felt since my years on the farm. The richness of the descriptions of the struggle to make a homestead in desolate Nebraska are truthful and stark and perfect. Some may criticize the lack of plot, but I think the portraits of characters that Cather writes are the real backbone of the story, not to mention it is simply a story about growing up and finding out what is really important. Truly deserves its label as an American Classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Antonia.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Joanne G. Definitely will go on my reading list!

Kathleen Oh yes, I thought of you throughout. I hope you like it!

Laura Willa Cather is one of my favorite authors. Her characters have a depth and appeal that is timeless. "Death Comes for the Archbishop" also has lovely descriptions of the land, although it is the American Southwest rather than Nebraska. It has been a while since I've read this one; I need to pick it up and read it again.

Kathleen Laura wrote: "Willa Cather is one of my favorite authors. Her characters have a depth and appeal that is timeless. "Death Comes for the Archbishop" also has lovely descriptions of the land, although it is the Am..."

I agree, Laura, Cather is wonderful. I did just finish O Pioneers! and was not as drawn into the story as I was with My Antonia. I need to put Death Comes for the Archbishop on reserve--you're the third person who's said I need to read that one!