Victoria's Reviews > Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

Horseradish by Lemony Snicket

Feb 05, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from February 05 to 06, 2012

I normally don't like this kind of books and don't think it's worthwhile to read, but this was just perfect. I seriously doubt that I'll ever be able to rate this author's works with anything less than 5 stars. Every single "aphorism" in this (sadly) short book is written in such a brilliantly hilarious way that makes the saddest and bitterest truths of life not so sad and bitter and the routine moments one normally doesn't pay attention to every day are described in the most unexpected way. The comparisons and parallels Snicket brings up are the best I've read, really. Thanks to this tiny book I had a very cozy and nice evening :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Horseradish.

Quotes Victoria Liked

Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”

Lemony Snicket
“It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things.”

Lemony Snicket
“A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them.”

Lemony Snicket
“There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you, and there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.”

Lemony Snicket
“It is so rare in this world to meet a trustworthy person who truly wants to help you, and finding such a person can make you feel warm and safe, even if you are in the middle of a windy valley high up in the mountains.”

Lemony Snicket
“It is much, much worse to receive bad news through the written word than by somebody simply telling you, and I’m sure you understand why. When somebody simply tells you bad news, you hear it once, and that’s the end of it. But when bad news is written down, whether in a letter or a newspaper or on your arm in felt tip pen, each time you read it, you feel as if you are receiving the bad news again and again.”