Christina G's Reviews > The Last Brother

The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in February, 2012

Read this for the 2012 Tournament of Books.

The plot is reminiscent of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas in that it's about the relationship between a Jewish boy and the son of a camp guard, but The Last Brother is set in Mauritius rather than Auschwitz (an interesting history which I knew nothing about).

The book is well done and manages to be compact while covering a lot of ground. I felt very distant from the emotions of the story, however, and I'm not sure that's what the author was going for.

This book is set to face 1Q84 in the first round of the TOB. I personally would pick The Last Brother over 1Q84 just because I can't stand Murakami (I'm not even going to pick up 1Q84), but I have a feeling 1Q84 will win out because of the hype.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Brother.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie Where are the brackets? I looked around the TOB page (lazily) and I couldn't find them.

Christina G ctrl+f "download"
or try this link

message 3: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie Whoa, some of those match-ups are tough.

Christina G Yeah, last year they had A Visit from the Goon Squad vs. Skippy Dies in the FIRST ROUND. Two of my favorite books of the year, so hard to decide.

message 5: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie I like that goon squad got eliminated against freedom, then came back and beat freedom.

message 6: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie Also I considered reading more of these TOM books (and obvi I have plenty of time) but next up I'm reading.... THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO.

Christina G YES! YES YES YES! CHAOS WALKING IS THE BEST!!!

message 8: by Allie (new) - added it

Allie I'm also looking forward to you reading more of TOB books. I'm almost done with sense of an ending.

Christina G Oh cool, curious to know how you like it. I'm not sure how many of the TOB books i'll get to before it starts, considering where I am on the hold lists for most of the titles...