Andre's Reviews > The Last Holiday

The Last Holiday by Gil Scott-Heron

Feb 05, 12

I have been a fan of Gil Scott-Heron for all of my adult life. So, just to have these remembrances of Gil is exhilarating. It is not really a memoir, but more of a look at events and times of his early career. The central event of this book is the tour he did with Stevie Wonder. There is discussion of his childhood, teen years, and the beginning of his musical journey. The missing parts are of his later life, it would have been interesting to hear Gil in his humorous poetic language explain his darker days. However, having said that, the poetic interludes and his use of language in this book highlights why he became such a favorite of people who loved messages in their music. I'm sure a biography of Gil is on the way, but I'm not sure it will surpass this collection of thoughts and writing from the man himself. I was listening to "Winter in America" as I was reading this book and that added to the magic that was Gil Scott-Heron. Kudos to the editors for putting this together. Well done! Readers take advantage and enjoy the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Holiday.