Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)'s Reviews > The Enchantress of Florence

Jul 14, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: historical_fiction, authors_i_have_met, signed_editions
Read in July, 2008

While every review seems a need to state the basic plot of the yellow-haired stranger appearing in Akbar's court I will quickly skip over this and go straight to what I thought. I felt that the book was very uneven, there where parts that were just wonderful and deserving a full five stars, in particular the story of the illuminator who disappeared into his own artwork and the concept of Jhoda, and others that were so very boring that the average became a two.

The main problem I had was that it was a very slow read due to the fact that at times it felt like a history book (not surprising considering Rushdie's background)and had so much historical detail crammed in that I felt I really needed a who's who guide and lots of maps just to fingure out what was going on. Also the ending was a bit rushed and vague, and a bit ewwwww with the incest.

I also had the opportunity to go to his book talk and signing for this book and I have to say that he did a wonderful job actually summing things up and I feel that his talk added alot to the book, laying out more clearly what the historical situation was like during the time of Akbar, and maybe if that had been infused into the book then I wouldn't have felt quite so lost sometimes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantress of Florence.

02/13/2016 marked as: read

Patti Yes! What if the story of the illuminator had been expressed in a short story? I kept wanting more such stories. Couldn't even finish the book and I read constantly.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Oh yes! This would have made a few wonderful short stories.

Silvia Iskandar I fully agree with your comment: I felt that the book was very uneven, there where parts that were just wonderful and deserving a full five stars, in particular the story of the illuminator who disappeared into his own artwork and the concept of Jhoda, and others that were so very boring that the average became a two.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) Totally Silvia!