Daniel's Reviews > Strata

Strata by Bradley P. Beaulieu

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: ebook, novella
Read on February 05, 2012

This is a solid novella in the "man-vs-the-system" vein. Many characteristics of the story reminded me of its ancestors: a faceless persecutor backed by paramilitary; an underground movement seeking to undermine the dominant power structure; a few good men striving to realize political justice; and a few good women present for emotional outpourings and props for those good men to lean on. The notable differences between Strata and its predecessors are the variety of nationalities of the protagonists and the absence of any Cold War politics: the world posited here could be a logical extension of our present, complete with greedy corporations that farm out high-risk/low-paid work to people from developing countries.

I don't remember why I downloaded this, though I suspect a review lead me to. In any case I picked it up for a quick dose of science fiction, and for the most part I got that. The resolution was too pat, and the setting could have been built up more; then again, at novella-length these shortcomings are forgivable. If these two collaborate again, I'll sign up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strata.