Nathan's Reviews > The Ghost Brigades

The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

M 50x66
Feb 05, 2012

Read in January, 2012

After reading The Old Man's War, I immediately went out and obtained the second novel in the series. Please refer to my review of the first novel for more information, but to summarize the first novel was a complete page-turner and left me wanting more after I completed it.

This novel introduces a new character in the series that further fleshes out the details of the mysterious "Ghost Brigade" introduced in the first novel. Additionally, we have occasional scenes/chapters with Jane Sagan, the foremost secondary character from the first novel. Note that fans of John Perry of the first novel will be somewhat disappointed in the lack of his return to this novel.

With that said, this novel, like its predecessor was a well told story that kept the reader interested throughout the entire novel. The political intrigue was more apparent in this novel, and we begin to learn more about the entitiy known as the Colonial Defense Force and it's place in the universe. Once again, there is very little in the way of Hard SF, but it's lack is not felt at all in my opinion.

Without giving any spoilers, the novel quickly resolves the primary premise in the storyline, but introduces several new plot turns that (like all good series) keep you wanting more. I look forward to reading the next novel in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost Brigades.