Bev's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Jun 01, 14

bookshelves: audio-version, young-adult, all-time-favorites
Read from February 05 to March 09, 2012

Well, I now have an all-time favorite book to add to my list. This one is profoundly wonderful in so many ways. I will carry it with me for a long, long time. And it is a story that was enhanced, I believe, by listening to the skillful, moving narration on the audio version.

I know that a book is special when:

1) I am hesitant to reach the ending because I do not want the story to stop. There were portions of the end that I rewound and played over and over again before continuing. And then I went back and listened to the entire ending again. And again.

2) I am moved to tears. In this case, it happened a few different times during the course of the book.

3) I cannot stop thinking about the story long after finishing the book. I am still processing it for days afterwards, and I know it will stay with me for years to come.

4) I realize that I will return to the book and reread it--something I rarely do because there are so many other books on my "to read" list. But I want to go back and experience this book again with the knowledge of how it will end.

5) It's a book about the beauty of books and reinforces my belief that reading is a gift and something to treasure.

6) I want to run out and get a copy for all book-lovers that I know.

In many ways, this is a simple story about a few people who might go without notice if we encountered them in real life. But these characters are truly special, and their story is told through the eyes of Death, giving us a unique perspective no living person would have to offer. What a clever approach and stroke of genius by the author, Markus Zusak.

What I have written here so far might be misleading. This book is not an upbeat, feel-good story. Parts of it are harsh and difficult to read. But there are moments when the events, dialogue or insights truly warm the heart.

I don't want to say much more about the book at this time. I will just encourage people to pick it up and experience it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.