Suvi's Reviews > Forests of the Night

Forests of the Night by Tanith Lee

Jul 23, 14

bookshelves: 1970-1999, short-stories, _great-britain, fantasy, mythology, werewolves, sci-fi, _france, vampires, _asia, _europe-southern
Read from February 05 to March 16, 2012

Oh boy, this woman has a somewhat crazy imagination. It's like anything can emerge from her brain. There were a few weaker stories (mostly short snippets and sci-fi), but the stronger ones were rich in language and absolutely beautiful story-wise. If you like fairy tales, I think the last one (White as Sin, Now) is especially going to be to your liking, since it combines a couple of them in quite a clever way.

Overall the topics were just what I'm interested in: vampires, werewolves, mythology etc. but with such twists I have never read before. Weird and sometimes confusing stories with a little bit of fairy tale magic on top. Unfortunately I couldn't give this a full five stars, because the weaker stories were really boring and quite pointless. One of them had mostly just some philosophical babbling that felt detached from the story itself.

Favourites: The Gorgon, Elle est trois (La Mort), Nicholas, Red as Blood and Bite Me Not or Fleur de Fur

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forests of the Night.

02/13/2012 page 84
show 1 hidden update…

Suvi I've only read two stories so far, but I very much liked them both. The other is an unusual werewolf story that also uses Red Riding Hood themes, and the other is about a woman who lives on a Greek island and who reminds the protagonist of Medusa. The ending had a fantastic thought about the Medusa myth. I'm guessing the whole thematic sphere of this collection is going to be interesting.

Anyway, if I can find the story you described I'll let you know asap. Based on that information I now want to read it myself! :)