Suvi's Reviews > Forests of the Night

Forests of the Night by Tanith Lee

Jul 23, 2014

bookshelves: 1970-1999, short-stories, _great-britain, fantasy, mythology, werewolves, sci-fi, _france, vampires, _asia, _europe-southern
Read from February 05 to March 16, 2012

Oh boy, this woman has a somewhat crazy imagination. It's like anything can emerge from her brain. There were a few weaker stories (mostly short snippets and sci-fi), but the stronger ones were rich in language and absolutely beautiful story-wise. If you like fairy tales, I think the last one (White as Sin, Now) is especially going to be to your liking, since it combines a couple of them in quite a clever way.

Overall the topics were just what I'm interested in: vampires, werewolves, mythology etc. but with such twists I have never read before. Weird and sometimes confusing stories with a little bit of fairy tale magic on top. Unfortunately I couldn't give this a full five stars, because the weaker stories were really boring and quite pointless. One of them had mostly just some philosophical babbling that felt detached from the story itself.

Favourites: The Gorgon, Elle est trois (La Mort), Nicholas, Red as Blood and Bite Me Not or Fleur de Fur
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forests of the Night.

02/13 page 84
05/22 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Suvi I've only read two stories so far, but I very much liked them both. The other is an unusual werewolf story that also uses Red Riding Hood themes, and the other is about a woman who lives on a Greek island and who reminds the protagonist of Medusa. The ending had a fantastic thought about the Medusa myth. I'm guessing the whole thematic sphere of this collection is going to be interesting.

Anyway, if I can find the story you described I'll let you know asap. Based on that information I now want to read it myself! :)