ElaineY's Reviews > Shattered Glass

Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander

Mar 17, 2015

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, alphabet-soup-govt-agents, mm, audio-aborted, 1-to-reread
Read from February 05 to 13, 2012

REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK ONLY, APRIL 9 2014:

I did not finish listening because of several factors the last couple of days and don't plan on listening to much audio over the next few weeks.

I'm sure the issues I'm handling at present have affected my listening pleasure, I still want to say that this second time with SG left me a little weary with gay romance. I'm bored with the same struggles over the same issues, characters mouthing the same things. This is what I'm feeling right now despite reading/listening what I think is still a great piece of writing, despite grinning at Peter's repartees.

That said, my initial negative reaction to Joseph Northton's too-fast narration gave way to admiration. He's excellent with the various characters' voices and, despite my present (hopefully, temporary) ennui with the genre and the story, I kept on listening longer than I normally would. Halfway through the book, Northton was still rushing a little (he did slow somewhat after chapter 3) with the narration but he really shone with the dialogue. I love the voice he gave Peter and his Latino-accented Luis was wonderful.

If you enjoy MM romance, haven't tried an audiobook, I rec this audiobook as a starter.

------------------------------------------------------------
REVIEW OF EBOOK; FEBRUARY 13, 2012:
Amazing. Incredible. I can't quite explain how easy it was to read this despite the fact that there was A LOT going on. Ms Alexander's writing flows so fluidly, so smoothly and she has a talent for creating characters that are unique and not carbon copies with different names. Each one has its own personality, each so distinct. Angelica is such a positive character that she deserves an MF romance herself!

I love hot sex in my MM romance but the story here was so riveting that I didn't even mind there was no full-on sex. At least, I don't recall any! There were a lot of kisses, blowjobs and making out but correct me if I'm wrong, when the story ended, Austin was just trying out anal for the first time and we aren't even taken into the scene. I guess I do miss that, otherwise I'd have given this a full 5 stars in my head. If GR would let me give half stars, you'd be seeing 4 and 1/2 stars, not 5.

Another reason why I'm holding back the half star is because SO much is going on re. the suspense/mystery thread (which is not a complaint) and SO much is happening with the characters and there are SO many well-developed characters that something's gotta give. And that something was my ability to follow the suspense thread. I know who all the bad guys are at the end of the book but I'm not quite certain as to what was happening exactly. I only have a vague idea and would have to reread in order to catch everything that was going on in the suspense portion. It was impossible, on this first reading, to pay attention to anything but the characters because they just suck you in.

The book ends with an HFN for Austin and Peter Rabbit and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that in Cai's book (yeah, I'm curious about Agent Riley:p) I'll be treated to some real sex with Austin and Peter.

According to the author, she can't give an exact date when Cai's book will be out but when it is, I'll likely reread SG before moving on to Cai's book.

This is a spectacular start to the author's self-publishing venture and I'll be looking out for the sequels, for sure!
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattered Glass.

Quotes ElaineY Liked

Dani Alexander
“Peter to Austin:
"Hard-ons don't make you think less. They make you think stupid. Which makes me think you must have one 24/7.”
Dani Alexander, Shattered Glass

02/06/2012
10.0% "Didn't manage to make much headway but not the fault of the book. I'm enjoying it very much, in fact."
02/07/2012
35.0% "Oh, this is so good, good, good. I'm enjoying it so much I don't care if everyone else thinks it's shit." 2 comments
02/08/2012
50.0% "A lot of background history going on which I'm not getting but I think will be explained as we go on. Austin is pretty straightforward. And funny. And I love being in his head. The mystery revolves around Peter and the secondary characters. There's so much going in each paragraph that at 15% of the way, I felt like I'd expended the same amount of energy for any other MM romantic mystery."
02/12/2012
80.0% "I'm making progress! 86 pages more to go."
04/07/2014 marked as: audio-now-listening 1 comment
04/08/2014 marked as: currently-reading
04/08/2014
15.0% "Still as good. Narrator speaks too fast, though."
04/09/2014 marked as: mission-aborted
04/17/2014 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami I hope you could post your review for this after you are done, I am quite intrigued with it

ElaineY Ami wrote: "I hope you could post your review for this after you are done, I am quite intrigued with it"

LOL! I was hoping someone whose reviews I follow would post theirs! I'm about to start on it but it's about 450 pages on my reader and I don't read fast so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

ElaineY I feel about Dani Alexander the same way I felt about Damon Suede after I read Hothead - who the heck is she and why has she waited until now to write and get published?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

ElaineY Kate Mc. wrote: "This was amazingly good. I want to chain Dani to her computer and make her write more."

Write faster, you mean. I can't wait for Cai's book and Darryl's should be fun, too. He's so prickly and I'd love to see him with someone who rubs him the wrong way...and right, of course. Did Dani say who she's pairing him with?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think so. I think Cai's book is first, so maybe it's a character we meet there.

ElaineY The audio is out! Yaay:)
The sequel isn't. :( But at least I know Not So Innocent is in its almost-fina stages of editing and barring any unforeseen disasters, should be out by the end of 2014. Keeping toes crossed.