Emlyn Chand's Reviews > Bunnicula

Bunnicula by James Howe

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: phoenix-s-bookshelf

It’s only month #2 of the “books that made me love reading" challenge, and already, I’m noticing a pattern. Last month, I re-reviewed Harold and the Purple Crayon, a book that has had a profound influence on my life. I freely attribute my creativity to the inspiration I received from this happy little picture book, and now I realize that this month’s book, Bunnicula, has had an equally large impact on my life and personality.

Bunnicula made me smart. Seriously, it did.

Yes, I’m raising serious nature vs. nurture questions here, but the authors Howe & Howe really deserve some credit. They didn’t dumb down their vocabulary to appeal to children, no. They let the big words and the references to classic literary works fly. The authors didn’t say, “Hey, wait a sec here. How are kids supposed to know about Dracula, or Treasure Island, or A Tale of Two Cities?” They said, “Hey, kids probably won’t know about these great books, but maybe after reading Bunnicula, they’ll search them out.”

I really respect that about Bunnicula, and frankly, I don’t even remember the huge words being a problem when I was reading it as a kid. Maybe these things are less of an issue than adults think they are, just saying.

Okay, so the title of the book clearly refers to our friend, Bunnicula, the vampire bunny wabbit. And the narrator is Harold, a mutt who loves to feast on chocolate cupcakes but never succumbs to their poison. Interesting...

Now, who, you ask, who is the star of this tome? Why, Chester, the hair-brained, intellectual pussy cat, of course!

I think I probably wanted to marry Chester when I was a little girl. That’s okay to admit, because children often want to marry parents or cartoon characters. Chester is a perfectly acceptable crush, thank you. (I also crushed major on Disney’s Aladdin, but that’s a story for another day.)

The reasons why Chester is super dreamy abound. He’s intelligent, well-read, persistent, intuitive, funny, and cuddly. If you didn’t know I was talking about a fictional cat just now, you would probably be like, “Oh, sign me up for some of that!” Don’t lie to yourself, admit it!

Sure, Chester isn’t always right about everything. Who is? But it’s fun to watch his misadventures unfold. Flights of fancy are fun, especially when you’re tucked comfortably into your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sleeping bag with a flash light. Are you understanding who I was as a child now?

Bunnicula was a great read for boys and girls alike. I should know, because I detested girly gook. I collected bugs and refused to play with dolls. Bunnicula wasn’t a story about a pampered princess; it was a nitty gritty tale of vegetables in peril. I liked that.

Bunnicula was cute while still being terrifyingly ferocious. I’m sorry, Edward Cullen, but I’d take Bunnicula over you ANY DAY!
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunnicula.

02/16/2012 page 35
27.0% "I'm having such a good time re-reading this childhood favorite. It's got great vocab for an MG title. I think Bunnicula made me smart back in the day!"

Jill Barville I remember getting that book from the Scholastic book order as a kid. Loved it!

message 2: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Great review ^^ And I completely agree about wanting to marry Chester (and Aladdin) as a little girl lol.

Teresa Ellis You are awesome. I love the fact that you are unabashed about your crush on Chester. He is pretty awesome. I loved this book as a kid and am enjoying listening to the audiobook with my son.

Hadessephy I agree about the not dumbing down part! I was like 8 when I read this book and I remember not getting the whole steak/stake joke with Chester at all! I loved this book, one of the first I read!