Celina's Reviews > When Strangers Marry

When Strangers Marry by Lisa Kleypas

May 12, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, fave-author-autobuy, surprise-love, remarry, k-l-m-n-authors, lisa-kleypas
Read from May 10 to 11, 2012

This is one of LK's first books and you'll see how...well, not bad but um.... undeveloped her writing was.

It starts out with the heroine, Lysette being battered by her stepfather. I assumed she was young. As in child-young. Then it proceeds to Philippe and Justin Vallerand who were also portrayed as children who were playing when they found Lysette. You see, the blurb said the hero's name is Maximilien and I thought, maybe one of them has a second name for Maximilien because surely, they were the same age! Justin and Philippe actually argued who would take her! They also carried her back to the house, doubting the boys' ages or confirming the closeness of their ages.

BUT THEN!

Lysette was brought to Philippe and Justin's father who was, alas, the hero!

For a long while, I was sooooo weirded out by the characters since I couldn't place their ages. But somehow, along the way after they got married, I still got hooked. Since they were solving Corrinne's death. Corrinne was Max's first wife who was having an affair with Etienne who was coincidentally Lysette's bethrothed before she ran away.

So, in the end, (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Strangers Marry.

05/10/2012 page 112
28.0% "my goodness. this is weird. what were you thinking, LK"