Chicklitgirl's Reviews > The Kiss Off

The Kiss Off by Sarah Billington

Apr 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ebooks, awesome-protag, cute-boys, cute-reads, cute-romance, different-ish, romance-yes, sent-for-review, music, lol-books
Read from April 22 to 23, 2012

Read the review and enter the GIVEAWAY on my blog!

Rating: 3/5 stars
Romance Swoon Scale: 2.3/5 stars, Adorable, Sweet
Bonus Bits: LOLgasms, Smiling in anticipation, Rooting for heroine.
Warning?: Yes. Sexual References, occasional course language.
Action: Running from the paparazzi.
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Published: May 15th 2012 by Billington Media
Series: No.

The Kiss Off was a book that made me laugh, smile and cringe several times.
I loved its whole plot and concept of the story- and the how unpredictable it was!
The sort-of love triangle kept me guessing till the last freakin' page and the musical-teen-angst angle was refreshing and a lot of fun. Throw in all the lol bits, and I was sold.

Poppy Douglas, our protagonist for the day was a very relatable teenage girl who made mistakes like all teenagers do, and was a solid, believable character.
I also really liked Poppy's relationship with her best friends. They were there for her when they could be and Mads, specially, was so much fun! I loved her quirky outfits and just her general personality.
Ty was super duper adorable and so hot. Sigh.

The Kiss Off wasn't very fast paced because it was so detailed, all of Poppy's thoughts and actions explained, but the writing was clear and straightforward, which made The Kiss Off an easy read.
I loved the whole music scene, a look into the modern crazy celeb world and personally, Academy of Lies is such a cool name for a band. Official yet not official- (...if you know what I mean.)
There were so many creative funny bits and awkward teenager moments, and those were what really made The Kiss Off pop and pack a more fun punch.
The language wasn't very clean, but I liked that, since it made the whole thing more authentic and teenage-y because really, we all use bad words at one point or another in our vocabulary.
It also showed Poppy making some mistakes which probably all teenagers could learn from although- seriously, WHEN is sexting EVER a good idea?

The ending though I think, could have been done better, and I don't want to spoil it, it WAS a good ending but it felt a bit unfulfilling somehow. It had potential to be better.
And dude, the story started with Poppy's songs, and her songs were a big part of the book- so Ms Sarah Billington I WANTED TO READ THE LYRICS TO THEM! I mean you go on and on about the song but we only get snippets of the lyrics. I really wanted to know what everyone loved so much and you left it out. Just like that. And that sucked.
The cover also left me unimpressed. I mean, yeah okay, its related to the book, and it is a bit cute, but it could have been better. The freakin' FONT could have been way better! It doesn't look very professional and in my opinion screams self published- and a lot of people are wary about sp books not being very good.

BUT aside from all that I really liked The Kiss Off.
I love books that can make me laugh and smile and feel for the protag.
Books with protags who don't have dysfunctional families, have good bffs, and books with proper heroines who write kick ass songs and then get famous for them rock. And I specially love books with sweet romances.
So yes, The Kiss Off was a pretty good book, well worth the time and you should def give it a go.

xx

Chicklitgirl
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kiss Off.