Claire's Reviews > If I Lie

If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

Sep 05, 12

Read from September 01 to 05, 2012

What it's about: Quinn was caught kissing someone other than her boyfriend Carey. Shunned and branded a traitor by her small town, Quinn has a lot more to hide that who she was kissing, she has to hide Carey's secrets too.

What I thought: HOLEY SMOKES! This book was absolutely freaking amazing. It drew me in from the first page and took me on an emotional rollercoaster like no other. We find out fairly early on what Carey's secret is, and though it didn't surprise me, it didn't make this book any less awesome. Switching between the present and the past, in bits and pieces we slowly see how Quinn got to where she is in the present day. We watch her take the accusations and insults into her stride, determined not to let them get to her as hard as that may be.

Quinn was such a well written character, so strong and brave despite everything, until you see her silently break down on her own. People don't know her. They don't know the truth and that slowly eats away at her. It doesn't help that she's facing this alone, no one cares. Well, almost no-one. Enter George, a patient at the Veteran's Hospital that she has befriended over the past few months. George doesn't care about the gossip, he doesn't believe it and it doesn't matter to him. George made my heart ache, at the painfully raw truths he brings to light, at the perfect time when Quinn needs them.
Despite the fact that we don't see much of him apart from the flashbacks, I like Carey. Well, liked and hated at the same time for allowing Quinn to go through so much for him.
Then there is Blake. Blake is such a powerful character through-out this story, that you have to love him. He isn't all swoon, like many other male characters, but he is much much more. He is real.

This book was so heart-wrenching, I couldn't help but cry like a little girl. Everyone, pick up this book. Read it. Devour it. Love it. Do it.

The good: George. I can say that I love him as a character more than any others for a long time.

The bad: There is zero bad in this book. It is one hundred percent perfect.

Rating: 5 bookstacks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Lie.

09/01/2012 page 50