Molly's Reviews > There You'll Find Me

There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones

Feb 05, 12

First chapter sets the stage for a delicious romance: hotel heiress with a rebellious streak (Paris Hilton, are you there?) meets teen vampire movie heartthrob (Edward? Bella?) on the way to Ireland--and soon discovers they're both stuck in the same B and B. Imagine that.

As the story unfolds, I'm positively transported to the 90s reading Sweet Dreams, trading books with friends, and swooning over tender, squeaky-clean romances.

But this book promises something deeper than puppy love as Finley grapples with grief over her brother's untimely death and launches on a mission to discover what he loved so much about Ireland.

The only part that's so poorly researched I just can't buy it, is Finley's music audition to the New York Conservatory. She plays the violin but took up piano so she can be a composer; she has an unfinished composition, which she must finish in time for her audition, because it's her, of course, audition piece.

The author must have googled this whole music bit once and snapped up the first buzz words she could. Finley's musical aspirations are as silly as those movies with musical prodigies played by badly faking actors.

First: if you're a violinist, you can compose for the violin without having to learn piano. In fact if you're serious about the violin, taking up piano will just be time away from your violin practice (unless you're a prodigy, which Finley clearly isn't).

Second: if I'm not mistaken, auditions for instrumental music require you to play established classics, not your own composition. I don't really see the big fuss over Finley grappling for the ending to her composition. And if you're really serious about it, you might reconsider the New York Conservatory--a quick click to their website shows their forte is theater.

I think the book could do without the whole music bit, but who am I to say? Jenny B. Jones tells the story well enough and moves the romance along easily. I'd recommend this to young readers: get a Gossip Girl read without the trash, and instead, a hefty dose of real-life inspiration.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There You'll Find Me.