Beth's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Feb 04, 12

Read in January, 2012

It is only January but I can already say that this will end up on my list of favorites this year. It is easily my favorite of Maggie Stiefvater's books. Her other books I enjoyed but were a little heavy on the teen angst and obsessive love at first sight story lines. This one was blissfully restrained.

It takes place in a small island community that I imagine to be somewhere near Great Britain, although it never really indicated where or when the story is taking place. It centers around the annual Scorpio Races and the wild and deadly water horses that rise up out of the sea every year. At first it seemed like a gruesome premise but this book surprised me with it's lyrical writing and beautiful story line. I loved Puck and Sean, two very different characters and both with a desperate need to win the races. I loved their friendship, their relationship with their horses, and their love for their island home.

I can't say too much about the plot without giving much away, but I can say that when I was done reading it I wanted to pick it up and read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.