Audrey's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Feb 04, 12

Disclaimer: I am 21 and extremely cynical about a lot of things. If you are 17 and not, this review will mean nothing to you. Go read the book.

I really wanted to like this book. The first half was amazing. The prose is GREAT. I wasn't crazy about the main character, but she acted like a real 17 year old, so I could let it pass. When I read books I do "3 strike" rule, from the moment I'm considering putting it down, forward. I don't remember what strikes 1 and 2 were (probably something about her natural blue hair. I read about too many ~quirky american exchange students with naturally weird colored hair and color changing eyes in my Harry Potter fanfiction days.) Strike 3 was when the term "gave him everything" was used for "losing my virginity." One of my major pet peeves, but for some reason I decided to finish the book. The build up of the mystery of the main character's origin was wonderful. I was invested.

And then it got to the reveal.

The things that were revealed to me in the reveal made me stop caring. The book became completely centered around back story (involving a character I was actively apathetic about) and the star crossed romance of the main characters. It's like when a really fun friend gets in a relationship, and they become solely focused on their significant other. And then you're like "BUT WHY?? You're so cool. You have so many redeeming qualities!" But they've become a shell of their former self that can only talk about their boyfriend/girlfriend.

I'm sure this is the kind of book someone would LOVE. Obviously it is, based on the amount of positive reviews and general buzz it's getting. It just wasn't my thing. What I'm saying is, don't go into this expecting it to be anything but a romance.