Tsclif's Reviews > 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A Work of Fiction

36 Arguments for the Existence of God by Rebecca Goldstein

U 50x66
Feb 18, 12

Read from February 04 to 17, 2012

First, regarding the literary side, I enjoyed this book but I wouldn't put this at the top of my all time lists. I liked the characters but I wasn't always completely taken with their story lines. I actually was finding the main character a little shallow until the very end - for much of the book he seemed taken with his material successes, that really changed only at the end. The breakup in chronology seemed a little choppy at times, I felt I was being constantly taken between plotlines for no other reason than not to give us too much too soon. Well in spite of this I still found the story to be engaging, and the analytical side of me appreciated the appendix with the philosophical arguments.

Now, what has a much larger impact on me than the above, is grappling about the big questions in life. And the author's perspective (which I glean both from this book and having listened to an interview) is right in line with my evolving stance on religion/philosophy/morality. I have always been a religious skeptic, at least when it comes to the established religions, preferring to think of God as a more abstract concept in the sense conceived by Einstein. I've always held myself as having a spiritual bent. Yet I find it increasingly unrealistic or even kind of silly to imagine there is any kind of over-arching force out there that is taking care of moral paybacks, monitoring my progress, or in general looking out for me. It's really kind of narcissistic when I think about it. Yet, there are some things to be said for aspects of religious practice: on a personal level things like meditation, not to mention some (and I mean some) of the ritual observances instill discipline and arguably make us better for it. Equally so, the feeling of shared community by the religious is significant and something I feel I miss out on. (The best answer to this seems to be Unitarianism which does provide some sense of community.) I am also annoyed by this idea of Pascal's Wager where I should make a game theory style decision to believe in a God, which seems ultimately self-serving and not about actual belief. Ultimately, as the rational person I am (and why shouldn't I be), I find it unappealing that on one hand I can really not see an argument for the existence of God as any kind of moral force, and on the other hand that I should not be able to tap into the 'benefits' of a belief (community, ritual discipline, and certitude) in God that seem to be enjoyed by the devout. Listening to an interview with the author and reading this book, I am starting finally to get a sense of there being a way out of this dilemma. I particularly like the point rejecting that morality is God's domain, and even more so the point rejecting that only God can provide us with meaning. I would summarize it as to consider not whether your life has a 'purpose' (i.e. an assignment handed by God) but what can you do to make your life have meaning. Then your actions have meaning because you have a sincere authentic belief in them that doesn't require all of the entrapments of religion.

I'm thankful to the author for getting me to think, and in influencing this direction.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 36 Arguments for the Existence of God.