Heather's Reviews > Kiss the Dead

Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Only because Hit List seemed like LKH was getting back to the Anita before Obsidian. More police work less time showing her magic love box and wasting most of the book talking with all her menagerie of men about their issues.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nina I am very much hoping for the same - more story, less sex. I loved all the Edward time in Hit List, hoping he'll make an appearance here as well!:)

message 2: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I love the Anita/Ted/Edward dynamic. There relationship is about all that is good in the series now. I wonder if the timing of the "triumvirate" and how the books just seemed to veer into left field out of nowhere had anything to do with the start of her Merry Gentry series. They are almost identical from that point on. Outlandish sex, male self esteem issues, and the heroine is also a tiny woman who's vag is dipped in fairy dust. Seriously, every sex scene in the books has about 10 pages of ego soothing, hand holding, crybaby like behavior from the menfolk in her harem before they get down to it. I love Paranormal mystery/suspense. LKH is great at details and builds a vivid world but all the woowoo business overshadows what could be a really great series.

message 3: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather That being said is it wrong that I want to have a vagina like Anita and Merry's? Its certainly durable ;p The incredible rubberband vagina...able to take on a 1000 jumbo size penises at the same time and snaps back to original size. Ha!

Nina Haha, yeah there's been times when I've read scenes and wondered "Holy crap, how does she DO that?!!?" But I agree, there's way too many whiny guys in both of the series, and as much as I like strong female characters, that doesn't have to happen on expense of the guys. I mean seriously, even manly men like Jean Claude and Doyle seem to turn to complete wusses around Anita/Merry, which takes away their whole charm.

message 5: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I agree 100%. She takes Alpha males and turns them into her bitches. Doyle was my favorite character until he completely unmanned himself in her honor. I get that PNR isn't a realistic genre, obviously. But i like when the characters and the relationships ARE. It's what adds to the dynamic and really invests you in the story. It's what makes KMM's Barrons so fantabulous. Now that's an Alpha male. You just can't seem to care about any of LKH's characters. No depth.

Nina Mmmmmm, Barrons <3

(Yep, that is all.)

message 7: by Morgana_lefay (new)

Morgana_lefay I stopped reading when I found out she will be with so many men. I have less issues with Merry because it was understood from the beginning that that is how the story will be. I heard from someone that LKH started this kind of writing because her husband left her