Michelle's Reviews > The Spellman Files

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction, humor, thriller, mystery
Read in February, 2012

This is plain quirky, and I have to say, it's seriously delightful. Isabel Spellman grew up in a family of spies. Her parents run private investigation firm, and they have trained their children to surveil strangers, pick locks, and tail marks. But Isabel is tired of the business and she wants out of it. Her parents agree, but only if she will take one more case. Izzy agrees and of course, hijinks ensue. The only problem? Soon no one wants Izzy on the case, including her parents, but she refuses to let it go.

So it isn't so much a study in a good mystery or even a thriller. It's more a study in character, especially in Izzy's character. Izzy is a strange duck. She was a rebellious and unpredictable teenager, but now, as an adult, she has let go of her more rebellious and irresponsible tendencies...except, perhaps, when it comes to men. She's serious about her job as a P.I. but perhaps the families' dysfunctional relationship prevents her from reaching her full potential.

I mean, this is a family full of distrust. People spying on each other, bugging rooms, monitoring phone calls, following each other around town. And Izzy cannot stop herself from doing the same to her own boyfriends. It isn't until her kid sister goes missing that Izzy and her parents realize they will have to put their differences aside and work together.

I feel like I've been hitting the jackpot lately at the library, especially with gems like this and the Stephanie Plum series. I've been looking for something in the thriller/mystery genre...something different, fresh, funny. And The Spellman Files does not disappoint. I am sooooooo very glad there are four more books after this in the series. This was just a light, fun read, and I look forward to more of Izzy's antics.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spellman Files.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jami I love this series! It's one of my faves! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, too.

Michelle It was so different and refreshing. I'm really looking forward to more of her books.