Jill's Reviews > The Woman Who Loved Jesse James

3820197
Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in February, 2012

I never meant to fall in love with Jesse James, but I might as well have tried to stop a tornado or a prairie fire....I was tinder waiting for a match.

Zerelda (Zee) Mimms at nineteen falls in love with her cousin, the outlaw Jesse James. Jesse, only seventeen, is already notorious as one of Quantrill's raiders during the Civil War. They have known each other since childhood. Zee's mother and Jesse's father, sister and brother. In 1864 with the war still being fought, Jesse returns home for a brief visit, meeting his cousin again. They quickly fall in love but their courtship takes another nine long years before their marriage in 1874.

Zee narrates this tale of her life with, and love for Jesse James. Although this is titled The Woman Who Loved Jesse James it is as much Jesse's story as Zee's.

Petite and barely five feet tall, Zee was as different physically from Jesse's six-feet tall mother Zerelda as could be. Yet they shared a similar love, devotion and almost obsession with Jesse. Neither Jesse nor Zee appealed to me particularly. Jesse comes across as a rather spoilt, selfish man, giving excuses for his crimes. Zee turns a blind eye to Jesse's criminal activities.

This historical fiction is very well-written. Cindi Myers has fleshed out these two real people, warts and all, and I found the story of their lives interesting even if the protagonists, unlikable. The lives and times of Jesse and Zee read authentically. The historical facts and details are deftly woven into this biographical fiction.

Steam: 2.5

ARC courtesy of Bell Bridge Books via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Loved Jesse James.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Let me know what you think of this one Jill? Where's the galdarn picture?!:(

Jill Isn't the picture there Sandi?
Anyway, I'm about 50% in and it's a very good HF (with romantic elements). Very rare to read a HF set in America. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* No its not..there are a few books on goodreads like this..glad your liking it so far I have it added as well..would really like to see a cover here Goodreads :(

Jill Sandi from where I'm sitting, there's a cover image.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Huh..not from where Im sitting..not allowed here in Canada? LOL...rather rude *sniff*

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Nice review!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book looks interesting, Jill. Is there any facts to the story (other than JJ being a bandit) or is it pretty much full on fiction? Fabulous review, Jill. I'm intrigued.

message 9: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Another great review Jill. I've always been intrigued by Jesse James and many of America's Old West gangs. I'm going to have to add this one:)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Great review Jill! Still no picture at my end..weird

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Michele
Thanks Michele!

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Kristen
I'm pretty certain that all the historical details are actual facts. I went and read up on JJ after I'd read this book and it seems the author CM based all the important events on known historical facts.

Obviously the dialogue and the sex scenes(!) were made up but I think even then she inferred a lot from what's actually know of Jesse and Zee.

I really enjoyed it since I'd only known very basic facts about the James gang. I'd recommend it to readers who enjoy historical biographical fiction. Or just Jesse James.

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Baba
Thankyou!

@ Sandi
Thanks Sandi! I can't understand why you don't have a cover image. It's definitely there!

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ KatLynne
Thanks KatLynne. I really enjoyed this, being a western fan and all. As I said to Kristen, it is as far as I know, based on historical facts. At least the important events.

And I was pretty surprised that Jesse and Zee were first cousins. Thought that was pretty much the Brits penchant!

message 15: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne ..."And I was pretty surprised that Jesse and Zee were first cousins. Thought that was pretty much the Brits penchant"...

In my genealogy research I have found that many married first cousins in that time period. I was very surprised myself.

message 16: by Aoi (new)

Aoi Cindi Myers has fleshed out these two real people, warts and all

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Aoi wrote: "Cindi Myers has fleshed out these two real people, warts and all
I only remember Colin Farrell and Ali Larter frolicking in the lake from the movie..."

Like this, Aoi?
description

message 18: by Aoi (new)

Aoi //makes grabby hands//
Despite him being 'dangerous', he doesn't appear to have sowed wild oats. Sexy much?

And how are you finding your current read, Jill?

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Aoi wrote: "//makes grabby hands//

And how are you finding your current read, Jill?"

Sexy much?
Just a little! Lol!

And how are you finding your current read, Jill?
Challenging! I'm reading You Can't Do Both which is not a romance. But I have a friend who 'challenges' me to read something outside the romance genre. And I 'challenge' her to read a romance. :)

What are your reading atm?

message 20: by Aoi (new)

Aoi But I have a friend who 'challenges' me to read something outside the romance genre.."

Good for you! Sadly, I'm overly dependent on swoon worthy moments to get me through a book.

I'm almost 1/3rd through The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker It's a slightly paranormal, Victorian times set YA; was curious to check it out because it won a few awards

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Aoi wrote: "But I have a friend who 'challenges' me to read something outside the romance genre.."

I'm almost 1/3r..."

Hope you enjoy it then, Aoi!