Graeme Ing's Reviews > TimeSplash

TimeSplash by Graham Storrs

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: scifi
Read from April 08 to 23, 2012

There is a brilliant and refreshing premise in this book that goes far beyond the cliched "timecop" time travel stories. This takes "kill your grandfather" to an original and exciting level. The first few chapters were gripping.

Storrs juggles a lot of characters in this book but the vast majority are well rounded and memorable. I loved the concept of the rockstar bricks (don't want to include any spoilers in this review), but Storrs brought in serious character flaws to prevent stereotyping. He has a talent for well-written action scenes and definitely brought the past alive, especially London in the final chase sequence. Enormous fun.

There were a few points where I felt the world history heavy-handed, put there for the reader, rather than it naturally flowing from the dialog. Not a show stopper, especially since Storrs' future timeline is intriguing and very believable. Maybe he's a prophet as well? :)

Also, he introduces a character at the beginning that is an overpowering foreshadow of the end, especially as that character doesn't reappear until the end.

The chief reason I rate it at a 3-star is that this book is really heavy with police procedural, so much so that the pace crawled in places, for my taste. I would have preferred more time spent on the science-fiction and especially the time travel. All the detective work was well realized though and highly believable, there's just so much of it. If you like police procedurals, this is easily a 4+.

I'm looking forward to his future work if this is his debut novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read TimeSplash.