Lisa's Reviews > The Chosen

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: fiction-general, fiction-young-adult, fiction-classic, 4-star
Read from March 11 to 26, 2012

Two Jewish boys, one Orthodox and the other not, grow up, becoming friends while attending different high schools. They learn from each other and from their fathers--I felt like I was learning along with them because I knew very little about Orthodox Jews.

It is refreshing to read a book where a father teaches his son how to treat others:

"You must remember what the Talmud says. If a person comes to apologize for having hurt you, you must listen and forgive him...What I tried to tell you, Reuven, is that when a person comes to talk to you, you should be patient and listen."

"I moved my wrist slowly. It still hurt. That Danny Saunders was a smart one, and I hated him. I wondered what he was thinking now. Probably gloating and bragging about the ball game to his friends. That miserable Hasid!"

"I lay still and thought about my eyes. I had always taken them for granted, the way I took for granted all the rest of my body and also my mind. My father had told me many times that health was a gift, but I never really paid much attention to the fact that I was rarely sick or almost never had to go to a doctor."

There is a lot to learn about life! I like this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tanya W This is one I would love to re-read... I absolutely loved it the first time. Tanya

Lisa I am about half way though and really enjoying it. We may choose it for book club.