Riv's Reviews > Les Misérables

bookshelves: realistic, for-school, movie
Read from February 04 to 18, 2012

MIND. BLOWN.
Seriously.

I'm probably going to need to write a review for this, since I need something up on my blog on Tuesday, and I'm not going to read anything else, but I really don't known what to say.
WOWSERS.
I didn't expect to even like this book, since it's one of those school-required ones, but it was amazing. The prose were beautiful. I wish I knew French, just so I could appreciate Victor Hugo's writing.
But you don't even need French for this. The translation was beautiful. And I really hate translated books. Usually.

I find it hard to recommend Les Miserables overall; I feel like you're either "the type" to read it, or you're not. But, if you love classics, READ IT. And if you've been meaning to read it anyway, read Charles E Wilbour's [abridged] translation. (I'm not sure if he made an abridged translation, or if it's the abridged version of his translation, but it was good.) It's a bit hard at times, but it's SO GOOD. I'm dying here, melting, while I'm trying to explain this book to you.

The only thing it gets off for is being hard to read. Which isn't Wilbour's fault, seeing as he kind of translated the book 150 years ago.

Man, oh man, this book is so brilliant. You feel for the characters from page one. And they're so well-written. And the way it all works out, integrating things from chapter one into the end, fitting everything together so perfectly, is amazing.

MIND. BLOWN.
Seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

02/04/2012 page 58
14.0% "I'm surprised. Its not that terrible. Dare I say I'm even...*enjoying* it?"