Tara's Reviews > Pick Your Poison

Pick Your Poison by Leann Sweeney

May 23, 12

bookshelves: series, cozy-mysteries
Read from May 19 to 22, 2012

Hmm. I don't know why but I never really got into this one.
The mystery was pretty good. It kind of a snowball gathering speed down a hill or a Dung Beetle gathering dung. It started off with the death of the gardner and then slowly built by adding connections to the other characters and events. I kind of liked the way she the mystery grew,
I did not mind Abby. She was kind of an interesting character. She was spitfire. Noone was going to piss in her boots and call it rainwater! Although I liked Terry and her twin sister better. Sgt. Kline was also a decent character and who could not like a man who "probably struts when he is sitting down" even if he couldn't charm the gloss off a photograph like her ex, Steven, could.
I could have used less of her silly (but I am guessing they were supposed to be cute) expressions like "alligator with chapped lips" and "something herbal enough to drive buzzards off of roadkill", but if you are loving all the expressions I have included in my review then I don't think you would mind them in this book. I I thought it was a bit too much. It was like Sweeney was trying to oversell the whole "she's Texan" kind of thing. Seriously, she was supposed to be around 30 years old, but her sayings made her seem a lot older. Thankfully, she was the only one who seemed to use those sayings.
All in all, it was a good summer, sit by the beach, and not think to much kind of book. I don't know if I care enough about the characters to seek the next book out "faster than the wind can snuff out a match", but if it comes across my path I might read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pick Your Poison.