astried's Reviews > Orient Express

Feb 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, nlb, 2016
Read in February, 2012

I was rereading the book and pondering on my previous thoughts. I wonder why I hated Janet Pardoe so much. Maybe because she's the type who'll always win and I connect it with cunning. Whereas I have misguided romantic idea of underdogs and integrity. Silly illusion and I suspect counterproductive to self survival.

Fiction reading... the things it can show of ones hidden self.

----------------------

This is supposed to be written to please and an entertainment reading. Well perhaps it is, I could feel the romping around as the train plowed through. But those romping are not exactly gay weightless people, they all have their burden and their shape is so solid as befit Greene's characters. Heartbreak aplenty as well, enough dreams bubbling up to be dashed afterwards. Yet, there they are at the end of the journey, wherever that is, continuing w/ their life, still the same old person. I guess it's true what Mr.Stein said, "The things that go on in these long-distance trains."

Ah Greene, the only one I wished not to be on board is your lovely Miss Janet Pardoe. No, not a sliver of sympathy from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orient Express.