Angela Wallace's Reviews > Again

Again by Diana Murdock

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2012

Lady Catherine is a noblewoman in the 1500s. Though promised to a valiant knight who has loved and served her for years, a chance meeting with a handsome merchant sends her on a whirlwind journey of passion she never knew she could experience. Jonathan makes her feel alive, but it can never be between them, for she has a duty to uphold, and there are those who will do anything to keep them apart.

Eryn Rexford is a photographer, married to a wealthy and handsome businessman, and living the life most women want. But something's missing. Eryn lives a life without passion, unsure how to find it when her husband fails to connect on the level she desires. Then the dreams start, hinting at another life, another love, another man. Will the dreams destroy the life she's made, or will they hold the answer to her freedom?

Though these two women are connected by their souls and reincarnation, each story is distinctly individual. Every chapter alternates between the timelines, which made it very easy to follow each story, and though they were separated by centuries, each transition felt smooth and connected.

I loved the romance between Catherine and Jonathan. I don't tend to read straight romance, but a combination of something else like urban fantasy or suspense; however, I found theirs to be so sweetly developed, like a courtship. It didn't feel slow at all, but kept me going the entire time.

In contrast, Eryn's story is less a romance and more about a woman struggling to do what's right for herself versus always sacrificing for other people. Though unhappy, she feels obligated to her husband, which never ends up being healthy for that person. (I could definitely relate.) I enjoyed getting to know her and her situation through the first half, but when her supposedly best friend starts complicating the situation, I began to get frustrated.

Brandi and her past counterpart are horrible people. I really hated her/them, and it might be because I know someone just like that. And while I don't typically enjoy having such feelings from a book, you could also say that the fact it creates such a powerful response is a testament to the author's writing.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. I noticed other reviews called it a "tragic romance," which I suppose is accurate. The HEA is not typical of what you would find, and actually I wouldn't call it an ending at all, but a beginning.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Again.