Nathan's Reviews > Kitty and the Midnight Hour

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: author-female, books-i-own, rated-3-star, read-2012, urban-fantasy
Read from February 04 to 05, 2012

Review written after a reread of the book.

The Kitty Norvell series is one of the few urban fantasy that have kept my interest. A couple of the middle books are really good. I guess that because of that, i forgot how mediocre the first book of this series is.

Kitty is a werewolf, attacked and turned in the near past and living as part of the Denver pack. She DJ's the late shift for a indie radio station, and almost accidentally the show slowly becomes a popular call in show for the occult. Vampires, witches(and wannabees) call, and the show gets popular.

This part of the world works, and the gradual awareness of supernatural the world is forced to go through within this series is one of the series highlights.

The problem with this book is Kitty herself. She is a victim, and never leaves that role. The whole book she is abused, one way or another, and the only relief from that abuse comes from one male or another, she never helps herself. With the exception of one show of strength, and then right back to submissive.

Luckily, most of this goes away in the next few books of the series, and Kitty becomes a much more balanced character.

So please read this book if your a fan of the sub-genre, because the series itself is worth reading. Just don't expect a lot of the debut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitty and the Midnight Hour.

02/04/2012 "I was going to pick up the lastest of the series, then realized I don't remember any of the plot lines. Reread instead."