Meagan Myhren-bennett's Reviews > Checks and Balances: A Look at the Powers of Government

Checks and Balances by Kathiann M. Kowalski

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: american, history, government
Recommended for: Home Schoolers, Families, School Libraries, Public Libraries
Read on February 04, 2012

Checks and Balances
By Kathiann M. Kowalski

Checks and Balances explores the three branches of America's government and how the government keeps itself in line by dividing the power between the Legislative, the Executive, and the Judicial branches.

The Legislative branch is Congress and it consists of the Senate and the House of Representatives. This is the branch of government responsible for creating the laws that govern the country. Congress has the power to approve or to block treaties or job appointments that the President wants to make. If Congress thinks the President is breaking the law they can impeach the President. Congress is putting the President on trial to determine if the President should be removed from office.

The President is the Executive branch. The President can veto or stop laws that Congress tries to pass. The President and Congress then try to work out a compromise so that a better law can be passed.

The Judicial branch can stop both the President and Congress. The Supreme Court is the most powerful part of this branch. The court has to decide arguments based on laws, but when a law is not clear the Court has to use the Constitution to decide an argument.

The Court can limit the Congress and the President by determining if a law is constitutional, but Congress and the President can limit the Court because they decide who can serve as a judge on the Supreme Court.

The ultimate authority is the people. Though the states and national government divide the powers between themselves, it is up to the people to decide how they want the government to work. The people can vote for who they want to run the country. Voting is a right and a responsibility. If we have an opinion on an issue it is our job to let our government representatives know how we feel. This is how we all have a voice in how our country is run.

Checks and Balances has a glossary to explain the terms used in the book. There is also a section directing the reader to further resources about our government.

Part of the Searchlight book series Checks and Balances provides an excellent look at the American Government and a quick overview of how Washington should work.

A perfect addition to every school or home library and perhaps the office of every member of the U.S Government as well!

I received a Digital ARC for the purpose of this review from the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Checks and Balances.