Cathy Keaton's Reviews > Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 1

Star Trek by Mike Johnson

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: manga-comic-books, read-in-2012, reviewed
Read on February 14, 2012

Plot: This is a new in-between comic book series that takes place after the 2009 Star Trek movie, but before the sequel film due out in 2013. Because it's a serialized comic book, very little actually happens in this volume. It sets up the story arc with Captain Kirk and Spock, Scotty, Bones, etc. all continuing on with their space adventures post movie. The Enterprise is on its way to the edge of the galaxy when they encounter a ship that had apparently vanished 200 years earlier while on the same mission. A member of the crew gets affected by the old ship and he starts doing weird, paranormal things. Mr. Spock wants to take drastic measures to eliminate the unknown threat, but Kirk is not hearing of it, and it ends on that cliffhanger over what Kirk is going to do about it.

Characters: With something like this, an adaptation of a good adaptation, you look for whether the characters seem in-character—and they do. The rapport between Kirk and Spock and Scotty (and everybody, really) is very much what you can see in the movie, if not the original Star Trek TV series. They are perfectly lovable, or infuriating, depending the character.

Writing: Here I'll have to mention not only the writing, but the artwork, too. First, the writing is good, the dialogue is very 'Trekkie,' in that you have the kinds of commands being shouted that you'd expect on a Star Trek episode. It works because it's familiar. Second, the artwork is very good, as expected, and features the typical western comic book style. The characters actually look just like how they do in the 2009 film, not like the original Star Trek TV actors. It gives you the right impression that you're reading about an event taking place in-between these newer films.

Storytelling: This is like watching an episode of Star Trek. It gets right to the point, or to the inciting incident and then the set-up. I do sort of wish it had gone a bit further than it did, but it's definitely the beginning of a promising story arc.

Overall Quality: High quality in the story, the writing, the art, even the in-characterness of the characters.

Favorite Moment/Scene: I didn't think any scene was so amazing, but what stands out to me is when we see Gary, the crew member affected by the 200-year-old ship floating in space, and first realize he's tripping on some space junk, so to speak. It's nothing I haven't seen before, but it stands out.

*I received this title from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Trek.

02/14/2012 page 104