Sarah's Reviews > The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1

The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1 by Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Feb 28, 12

Read in February, 2012

This collection of, well, tiny stories was organized by members of HitRecord.org, a creative and collaborative online community pioneered by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. “The guy from ‘3rd Rock from the Sun?’” you ask. Yup that’s the one. Though he’s had some notable appearances on screens big and small since those days, most recently in the feature film “50/50” with Seth Rogen.

But back to the book…

In addition to Gordon-Levitt, this collaborative project is also lead by the anonymous wirrow, who remains in the dark even at HitRecord live events.

The book itself consists of 30 stories collected from thousands of submissions to the organization’s site. As a would-be author, I have to say, the concept behind this collaborative community, and the work they are producing, is really pretty extraordinary. And call me crazy, but there’s something about the mystery and anonymity of this wirrow that I find intriguing.

If you’re curious as to how this collection was pulled off, check out the submissions call video from Gordon-Levitt who goes by the handle “RegularJoe,” yeah — you’re not fooling anybody guy, we know you’re talented. Still, to his credit, Gordon-Levitt shares his experience and connections with the community, yet another reason to admire the man.

I’m not sure which part I preferred more, the illustrations, or the brief, often eloquent, sometimes clever and frequently humorous stories. And while the book may be somewhat spartan in terms of text (I prefer volumes of the long-winded variety, but you probably guessed that by now), I have to admit, it was fun to read and would make for a perfect gift.

For the wordsmiths and the illustrators out there, I encourage you to join in on the next volume via HitRecord.org.

Sarah Aylward received a copy of this book for review from Harper Collins, publisher of The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories. For more reviews, check out www.theornamentedline.wordpress.com.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiny Book of Tiny Stories, Vol. 1.