Katie's Reviews > The Night She Disappeared

The Night She Disappeared by April Henry

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: thriller
Read in February, 2012

** spoiler alert ** In my opinion, the multiple perspectives ruined this novel. What's the mystery? We know where the missing girl is, who took her and why. By giving the reader all of this knowledge, the author removes the tension from the story. Drew and Gabie's concern over Kayla's disappearance and their tepid budding romance weren't enough to carry the book for 200 pages while I waited for this mystery/thriller to live up to its genre.

Also, I find the police department's handling of the investigation to be ridiculous. The very first meeting with a suspect (based entirely on rumors and circumstantial evidence) and they flat out accuse him of murder after saying about ten words to him. And, later, when the sergeant tells Gabie to stop saying Kayla is alive and that the two kids were of NO help at all was just stupid. It was so obviously a plot device to put Drew and Gabie "on their own" so they'd have to rescue Kayla without the help of the completely useless adults in their lives.

As I said before, the book is severely lacking in thrills until the last forty pages. By then it was too late. The author showed her hand early in the book by allowing us complete access to all the key characters, including the missing girl and her captor. After that, I never believed the author would actually do away with any of the (good-guy) characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night She Disappeared.