Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Jul 12, 2012

Interesting book, unusual style. It tells me that we have had quite a loss in Stieg Larsson's death. Larsson was a journalist who, as I understand it wrote his novels at home as relaxation. Three were left complete and have been published since his death. I've read that he left another partly completed and outlines and notes for 2 others.

This book puts me a little in mind of an older style of writing that was more common maybe 5o+ years ago. The early part of the book introduces us to the players and their circumstances. It sets up the two somewhat interlocking stories (they aren't really "interlocking" but they are connected through the players). One story sort of frames the other giving us the rational for Mikael to get involved. Salander is then brought on board as a consequence of these two overlapping situations. My early take? I found the first half or so of the novel a bit slow moving and my interest wandered just a bit. I almost skimmed a part of it, but stayed with it picking up all the story about these background and early events. I've seen others who also said that the book starts out slowly.

But stay with it. As Andy Griffith said about the opening of Hamlet "now all do remember that 'cause you will need it later". The book sort of "breaks open about at or just past the halfway mark and things start to come to light and come together. The puzzle pieces begin to make sense and the novel pulls you in...it's one of those (I think) you'll hate to put down.

I found the book well written and interesting and while the "life styles" of our protagonists are not life styles I could or for that matter have any desire to live, the novel is finely constructed, lucid and "enjoyable". (Enjoyable may not be the right word here.)

Try this one for yourself, I like it and can (with some reservations [be aware that there are some dark and disturbing scenes in the book. It contains scenes of rape and even misogyny (view spoiler)]) recommend it.
12 likes · flag

Noetic_Hatter I am still working through it, slowly. I am not in a hurry because I saw the movie 3x.

I really am appreciating the backstories we're getting. Lisbeth is a great character.

Mike (the Paladin) I haven't seen the movie.

Noetic_Hatter Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I haven't seen the movie."

It was big and messy and dark. Not for everyone.

Daniel Craig was great, as usual. Rooney Mara, as Lisbeth, was fantastic. The infamous scene with her sponsor -- which I haven't reached in the book, unless I somehow glossed over it -- is disturbing on a lot of levels (which means it was really well done).

David I thought it was a good book. It did take me a while to read it, though. I'm a notoriously slow reader anyway and this book moved slower to me than most others. It didn't grab me like a Michael Connelly book does.

I wanted to read it to see what all the interest in it was. And while I thought it was good, I don't know that it lived up to the hype.

Tish I read this one, thought it was a bit slow, but just interesting enough to read the next one too. I found the second one a lot more gripping. Don't know if it's because the story moved along quicker or if I had just gotten used to the style, characters, etc. by then. Anyway, the second one left me dying to read the third one, so hang in there everyone!