Beth Bonini's Reviews > The Hero and the Crown

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: children-s-book-club, classics-that-i-m-just-now-reading
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

I wish that I had known about Robin McKinley's novels when I was a teenager. I would have loved Aerin, the heroine of this novel. Insecure, clumsy, self-conscious of her privileged but "outsider" status; but also headstrong, brave and determined. Although I didn't like high fantasy, particularly, the emotional depth in this book would have appealed to me.

Although I remember scanning McKinley's name as I looked through old Newbery award winners, I didn't actually discover her books until this year. I read this one rather feverishly -- even disappearing briefly from my husband's birthday dinner because I was on the next to last chapter and I couldn't put it down! (I did also need a little break from hostessing.) I think that this is my favourite McKinley novel so far. It has all of the good qualities of her writing (the imaginative detail; the precise, intelligent prose) without the torturous syntax and digressiveness that mar some of her later novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero and the Crown.