Morgan's Reviews > Blood Work

Blood Work by Kim Harrison

1977404
Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel, fiction, paranormal, vampires, werewolves, witches-and-wizards
Read in February, 2012

*library*

Okay, so like others I want to preface this by saying that I really enjoy The Hollows series.

This graphic novel is a prequel of sorts to show us how Ivy and Rachel met for the first time. Ivy/Rachel is a thread running through the whole series, so I was very interested.

I ended up disappointed in several things.

First, the graphic novel storyline itself wasn't very good. Sure, we have Ivy getting demoted and stuck with an untrained partner in Rachel, but her ~*~FEELINGS~*~ come on way too soon and way too strong. Ivy is the person who educates Rachel on ways to lessen her attractiveness to vampires. She would have nipped this sort of thing in the bud. Instead, she comes off as weak.

Rachel also comes off a bit like she has two settings: total woobie and unaware bitch.

The artwork is another thing. Rachel isn't so bad. I was really disappointed to see not only how the artists apparently had issues with Ivy's asian features, but in keeping her to a standard 'look'. In some panels, I wasn't even certain who I was looking at. One page has her hair down and thicker than it has been...and also a lighter brown shade instead of black.

All in all, I was glad to see it was an attempt at showing us something we hadn't seen in the books instead of a graphic novelization of an existing book. That said, I don't think I'll be bothering if there are more installments.

I'll stick to the actual series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Work.