Virginia's Reviews > Redshirts

Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: speculative-fiction, read-2012
Recommended for: Adam Heine
Read on June 23, 2012

Fast-paced, funny, and definitely meta. The actual novel portion was interesting, but I feel as if there was too much skipping along on the surface. The story zipped along and I liked the main characters, but I didn't feel very invested in the actual characters. Part of it was that it seemed too self-referential. However, I did like the loose, easy-breezy, and accessible style that marks all of Scalzi's fiction. I loved the ending of the actual story. Laughed out loud. I read it again just for the pleasure of it.

When I hit the three codas (and I love how the first coda was in first person, the second coda in second person, and the third coda in third person - super clever), that was when I was pulled into the story. The people felt REAL and TRUE and I was moved - especially by a letter in the third coda. Tears. This is where Scalzi is at his best. He is best when he is intimate and lovely in the sense of getting deep into a person's true feelings. I can't really explain it better than that.

Of course, I realize that the codas wouldn't pack the emotional whallup that it does without the novel in the first place, so I suppose in that sense, the first part was good. But the codas are where Scalzi really shines.

Enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redshirts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Adam Heine I've heard of this one (mostly from Scalzi himself, but still). I've never read any of his stuff, but this certainly seems like a good place to start.

I wonder if I should get the Wil Wheaton audio version though :-)

Virginia Oooh! That would be FUN! I LOVE Wil. I do enjoy Scalzi - he is hilarious in general. I don't know if it showcases him at his best (that would be the Old Man's War series, but it is funny. I think there are 5 sample chapters for free at Tor.com so you can check it out there and see if you want more. YMMV on this one since it is a very polarizing book.

Chris Adam wrote: "I've heard of this one (mostly from Scalzi himself, but still). I've never read any of his stuff, but this certainly seems like a good place to start.

I wonder if I should get the Wil Wheaton audi..."

Yes, I totally recommend the audio book! Wil Wheaton is an awesome narrator!