Emily's Reviews > My Life and Hard Times

My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: favorite-kid-s-books

Sadly, this wonderful book is hardly ever referred to. While the world knows that Charles Dickens, Ernest Hemingway, and the Bronte sisters wrote Literature, hardly anyone who hasn't read Thurber recognizes the name. And he's got to be very near the best humor writer out there. I can drive my family crazy by giggling out loud while I'm reading him. They complain, and ask me to stop, but I just can't. I am incapable of reading this collection (his best, in my opinion) out loud, because I burst out laughing at inopportune moments. Bill Bryson has nothing on James Thurber. P. G. Wodehouse has nothing on Thurber. And this collection in particular, containing, as it does, such classics as "The Night the Bed Fell" and "The Day the Dam Broke," is just spectacular. It's clear, concise writing at its best, and is responsible for haunting me with the story of his grandfather, horse-breaker extraordinaire, trying to break the car to his will, and escaping with it to the park one day, where they came across him, driving it in tight circles and trying to bend it to his will.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life and Hard Times.