Patrick's Reviews > Redshirts

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Dec 04, 13

Read in February, 2012

Simply said, I loved this book.

If you want me to go into more detail, I can. But that's the heart of the matter.

I don't do spoilers. So instead, let me say this: This book was fun. It was clever. It was geeky.

But most of all, it made me laugh. I'm not just saying it was funny. I'm saying I actually laughed out loud in the restaurant where I was reading it. Then later at the coffee shop. Then later still when I was reading it at home, even though I was alone in the house. Even though that's what crazy people do.

I can honestly say I can't think of another book that ever made me laugh this much. Ever.

So yeah. It's good stuff. A+.

My one problem with this book is that it makes me feel a little threatened. I know John Scalzi. I like him. We're both successful authors, and we both live very happily in our respective corners of the sky.

He writes snappy, clever sci-fi with good plot and action. I write huge tangled metafictional fantasy thingers. This is a good thing. It means that while we're neighbors, we're somewhat distant neighbors. This makes it easier for us to be friends, because we're both doing our own thing on our own ends of the street, metaphorically speaking.

But now Scalzi has gone all meta. That's my turf. If this book wasn't so entertaining, I'd want to send some big, broad-shouldered men around to his house to look menacing and say things like, "Mr Rothfuss is worried about some of the writing you have been doing in his neighborhood. When Mr. Rothfuss gets worried about things, sometimes people get mysteriously hurt. With an axe handle."

So yeah. Thanks for the early look at the book, Scalzi. Thanks for the vastly entertaining read.

Just remember. Axe handle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redshirts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome They all die at the end right?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

This is brilliant.. I'll be ordering this then. Thanks pat

message 3: by Tanabrus (new) - added it

Tanabrus Ok, you won me in. I just put the book in the wishlist, thanks.

message 4: by D.G. (new) - added it

D.G. LOL, Pat! I loved the other book I read from your recs so I'm definitely trying this one out (even if the main character has the same name as my boss.)

Shawn Camp Great review! Just added to my reading list so that I can understand the reasoning behind your prison sentence for the attack with the axe!

message 6: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Here you got me all excited about this book, and I find out I can't read it for 5 more months!

message 7: by Doctordalek (new) - added it

Doctordalek Awesome review! I loved the review so much, I'll buy the book as soon as it's released. And to be fair (and avoid any unfortunate axe-idents), I'll buy one of yours at the same time, too! :)

message 8: by Minglis (new) - added it

Minglis Can't wait to read this. Still need to pick up Fuzzy Nation though, speaking of John Scalzi.

message 9: by Coralie (new) - added it

Coralie Great review! You are the one who made me laugh this morning!

Banner Ok I was on the fence with this one, but you just pushed me over.

message 11: by Jiyuu (new) - added it

Jiyuu My to-read list is growing by the day -- mostly occupied by Pat's recommendations.

message 12: by Ray (new)

Ray Cook Thank you patrick! I read a lot, and am always looking for a new author whose books are excellent:) One of my good friends interested me in your books, and I have been glad beyond belief that they did. To hear you give another author such a great review is heartening:) In fact, once I finnish writing this comment, I'm going to buy a copy of this book. If you want funny books that keep you thinking, look into Terry Pratchett, one of my most favorite authors.

Kthaeh I'm not laughing all that much in my reading of this book. Not that I don't like it. I do. But very few audible chuckles thus far. Catch-22 is the book that holds my personal record for most and loudest and most socially awkward laughing out loud.