Amy's Reviews > Heroes for My Daughter

Heroes for My Daughter by Brad Meltzer

May 21, 14

bookshelves: nonfiction, best-books-of-2012, biography-authors, biography-influential
Read in April, 2012

Superb! This book might be better than Meltzer's "Heroes for my Son"!

There are lots of great "famous" heroes included, but I think some of the best heroes are / were the regular everyday people who did inspiring things. I am not going to tell you what these people did and why Meltzer chose them -- you will have to read the book yourself, but here are some of Meltzer's heroes that I, too, found inspiring:

Champions, Mallory Holtman & Liz Wallace -- their story actually brought tears to my eyes. They show that there is still good in the world and that there are still kids who are being raised right.

Joan Ganz Cooney (JGC), a true visionary. "It's not whether children learn from television, it's what children learn from television, because everything that children see on television is teaching them something." -- JGC

Comedian, Carol Burnett -- Words fail me for all that Carol Burnett has done.

Dreamer, Alex Scott -- another tearful essay!

Revolutionary, Abigail Adams -- Comparatively, when I compare Abigail Adams with the revolutionaries of today, this is not a word I would use to describe her, but when compared with others of her time, I'm sure that this is an apt description.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy." -- Anne Frank

Truth Teller and Trailblazer, Judy Blume

Adventurer, Sacajawea, a 17-year old woman when she served as a guide for the Lewis & Clark expedition. How many 17-year olds do you know today that could do what she did?

Conservationist, Theodore Roosevelt -- He is the only person who has won both the Medal of Honor, which he won for war, and the Nobel Peace Prize. As America's first conservationist President, Roosevelt established more than 100 million acres of forest, five (5) new national parks, and eighteen (18) national monuments, including the Grand Canyon National Monument in Arizona. I share these facts because this week is National Park Week in the United States.

"Just because a man lacks the use of eyes doesn't mean he lacks vision." -- Stevie Wonder

Nancy G. Brinker -- Sister -- In 1980, Nancy Brinker lost her sister. Before her sister, Suzy passed away, she exacted a promise from her sister. You will find her story on pp. 40-41 of this book.

Rule Breaker, Sheila Spicer -- Even though she's retired now, she shows that there are teachers out there who do care and are not just "here" to collect a pay check and get their summers off. She made a difference in one man's life. I'm sure there were others, as well!

I posted this quote on my Facebook page last night. It says it all! "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

Survivor, Tina Turner -- Wow! Now, hers is an inspiring story, and surprisingly, it really has nothing to do with her music.

Subversives, The Three Stooges -- Fascinating!

"It's the little things citizens do. That's what will make the difference. My little thing is planting trees. -- Wangari Maathai, a force of nature in Kenya

Dolly Parton and her Imagination Library -- as a child raised in Appalachia, this story was truly inspiring.

Pioneer, Branch Rickey -- Today's children and younger adults (including me) cannot imagine the game of baseball being played only by white players. Often, it is the black / latin players who we pay to watch! Thank-you Branch Rickey for introducing us to Jackie Robinson, the man who broke the color barrier in baseball!

"Love yourself first and everything falls into line." -- Lucille Ball

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi

A heartbreaking story -- The Heroes of United Flight 93 became famous because of what they did together in the face of adversity.

Randy Pausch, truly inspiring -- In the face of death, he spoke about living to millions of people.

Altogether, an inspiring, well-written set of essays.

Do you have people in your life who have made a difference?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes for My Daughter.