Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > So Pretty It Hurts

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: mystery, review-on-blog, suspense-mystery
Read from March 21 to 22, 2012

*3.5 Stars*

With one part "Clue," one part celebrity drama, and one part wit, So Pretty it Hurts is a suspenseful and highly engaging story that will have readers jumping on the Bailey Weggins bandwagon.

In So Pretty it Hurts, true-crime journalist Bailey Weggins finds herself trying to uncover the truth behind the mysterious death of a famous model. While attending a weekend house party, a model dies in her bed but Bailey suspects foul play. It could have been anorexia that killed her, or one of the other house guests. As a true-crime journalist, Bailey is determined to uncover the truth, even when it becomes clear that she is in danger herself. Soon, it is clear that most all of the house guests have some motive for killing the model. Bailey now has to deal with the "who-done-it" mystery, but also personal relationship problems, and work issues as well.

I really enjoyed this book. I was afraid that the "mystery in the secluded house" bit might be trite or unoriginal, but Kate White pulled it off. The setting of the house party in upstate New York was different and I actually thought the setting was very unique and created a good backdrop for the murder to take place. There are similarities to the game and movie "Clue." There is the house party setting and a secluded location, and one of the house guests must be the culprit. Even though the "who-done-it" theme is common, the story is still full of suspense and fun to read. I never exactly knew who was the killer or why they killed, and the plot had plenty of twists and turns.

Kate White's writing is fully of witty phrases and comments that had me smiling throughout the book, making So Pretty it Hurts not just suspenseful, but also an overall fun, enjoyable read.

So Pretty it Hurts is not the fastest-paced book. There is a lot of detail, but it works for the story. As a murder-mystery, the details come into play as the story unfolds and I was never bored with the story. I really like Bailey Weggins as a character, she is a determined investigator, but she is not the best at relationships. She makes mistakes with her boyfriend, but she does learn from them. Bailey is a character who can learn and grow, and I always love those qualities in characters. Bailey is a very curious person by nature, sometimes to her detriment. At one point in the book I wanted to yell at her about her choices. The bottom line here, I liked her character, and I was fully engaged in the story.

So Pretty it Hurts is book 6 in the Bailey Weggins Mystery series, but I read it as a stand alone. I have not read earlier books in the series, and I had no problem jumping right into this story. Now, I am curious about the past books, and I am a Bailey Weggins fan. If there are future books in the series, I will be picking them up to see what comes next for Bailey, what new mystery she needs to solve.

Readers who like mystery and suspense reads will enjoy this book.

*I received this book for review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Pretty It Hurts.