Logan 's Reviews > Airborn

Airborn by Kenneth Oppel

Apr 01, 2012

bookshelves: steampunk, borrowed-library
Read from February 04 to 06, 2012

First impressions: Be still my beating, swooning heart! Kenneth Oppel wastes no time jumping into the action of this story, and it completely sucked me in. I so love when books do that.

Lasting impressions: Absolutely pitch perfect. Full of excitement, adventure, and mystery, this one grabs you and never lets go.

Conflicting impressions: None. Seriously.

Overall impressions: If I learned one thing from this book it's that airships are so my thing.

Fans of Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series will love this book as much as I did. Matt Cruse, our confident protagonist, is very similar to Westerfeld's Deryn Sharp. He is so comfortable in the air he feels as if he could fly. He lost his father to a horrible airship accident. He has to take a post as a cabin boy to help pay the bills, but he also really and truly loves working on a ship. If there's anyone who has found his place in the world, it's Matt.

On a routine flight across the Pacific, Matt's ship encounters an adrift hot air balloon with a few secrets contained within the pilot's journal. On the next flight, Matt meets the pilot's granddaughter, Kate de Vries. Kate is precocious, intelligent, stubborn, and a bit of a princess. She comes from the upper class and has a hard time taking no for an answer. Matt, as a lowly cabin boy, soon finds himself dragged into Kate's exploits as she pursues the mysterious creatures her grandfather had discovered.

But Matt is not all passive. Part of his journey is finding his voice and learning to exploit his own capabilities in the face of hardship. Through the course of the book, Matt faces pirates (several times) and crashes and strange flying cats (oh my!), and still manages to keep his brain on straight. Younger readers will chew through this one!

If you've never tried steampunk, this is a superb place to start. It's light on complicated gadgets and heavy on interesting characters and setting. Matt is brave and quick, and his story will capture your heart.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Airborn.