Joanne's Reviews > The Goats

F_50x66
Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: ya
Read in February, 2012

If you've ever dreamed of just walking away from everything, all the adults telling you what to do, all the rules and convoluted, unspoken expectations from fellow schoolmates, this story is for you. A cruel "camp tradition" strands a girl and boy on a deserted island, where they are supposed to cower and shiver through the night and laugh it off the next day when they are rescued. But instead they take off, wandering through woods and breaking into summer cabins to find food and clothing.
Of course the story is about the adventure, but really it's about two teenagers looking for their own place in the world, discovering their strengths and personalities. It reminded me of The Lord of the Flies in some ways. I read this because I saw an article in The Horn Book about this book, saying many librarians felt that it should have been the Newbery Award winner that year. I don't know what book won the Newbery that year, but this one would certainly qualify: fine, nuanced writing, insightful character development, good plot movement.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goats.