Katie Montgomery's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: loved-you-so-much
Read from February 23 to 27, 2012

Page 2: DAMN this book is good.
Page 25: GODDAMN this book is good.
Page 60: This may be the best WW II novel I've ever read. EVER. SUCK IT, HEMINGWAY.
Page 68: Crying.
Page 70: Laughing.
Page 113: Biting freshly manicured fingernails to smithereens DAMNIT WEIN I PAID FORTY DOLLARS FOR THESE NAILS.
Page 150: Okay, so, I have to pee, but I really don't want to have to stop reading. This could get uncomfortable.
Page 200: *THUMP* "Um, Katie, you OK up there?" "... It's cool. I just fell out of bed."
Page 233: *THUMP* "Um, did you just ...?" "... Yeah, again. Shut up."

(I read the rest of the book over the course of the evening and since I am not pro-spoiler I will not continue with the emotional roller coaster except to say that there was one.)

(Also, READ THIS BOOK. IT IS TRULY, TRULY SPECIAL.)

PS - Watch for a Maximum Shelf issue from Shelf Awareness on this title ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

01/31/2016 marked as: read 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-44)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Estara And scary - if we're talking about page 2.

Laura This was me, except without the manicure and with an entire bag of Dove chocolates that I did not realize I was compulsively eating until suddenly they were gone.

Andrea Haha! I totally understand this.

Catherine Egan I love your review style! Sums up the reading experience perfectly ;). Suck it Hemingway indeed!

message 40: by Lizbeth (new) - added it

Lizbeth Perez I wasn't intending to read this book but after your review I'm pretty sure I will read it.

message 39: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana Owens Love your review. Quick checking to see if you have authored a book. You forgot to say, reading before bed, in the middle of the night and before the alarm goes off.

message 38: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Shaw you are very funny :) I like your review

message 37: by Suze (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suze Liked your review almost as much as I liked the book!

Regan Perfect review! Captures how the book was meant to be read. Potty breaks be damned!

Irene I love your review and have thought of cutting and pasting it , obviously giving you credit and just saying I agree with every thing you have written.

message 34: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen Just had to comment to tell you based on what I can see of your review, I plan on reading this book.

message 33: by Sabah (new) - added it

Sabah Ali Awesome :D love it

Isabelle Jade This explains the Code Name Verity reading experience perfectly. I am on my third time reading it and BOY!- it's still the best book I've ever read. I think I burt into tears every time I hear the words "Kiss me Hardy!"

Irene So everyone ..... Don't you think Katie's review deserves five stars or even more.... Is it possible to give 10 out of 5?

Isabelle Jade It deserves thousands of stars, as does the book.

Rafaela Loved the review! I'm adding this book in my to-read list because of you.

Donny Loved your review. Listening to it on Audible, so can't place the pages, but I may just buy the book now.

message 27: by Mag (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mag yes. just yes

message 26: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Great review, I hope I enjoy it as much.

message 25: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Larose Your review is exactly how I am experiencing this book so far.

Tamber Mauney I really enjoyed this book. It was very realistic and informative about WWII.

Marla Knaack Wow. I wasn't expecting so many people to have commented on this book. I really want to find a WWII book that has a somewhat happy ending. I know it's the war and all, but I don't want to cry through the ENTIRE book. It really wore me out.

Deirdre Schirmer Yes, yes, YES! How is it possible to be heartbroken and triumphant at the same time?

message 21: by Ty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ty Partridge Best review ever!

message 20: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Van Hilarious and oh so true!

Amber Martin I just finished this tonight and your review sums up everything I felt and did! After getting my emotions worked over for the last hour I appreciate the laugh.

Chris Chambers best ever review for sure!!

message 17: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Griffin I am on page 273. at first i just didn't get it, found the writing style confusing. by page 2 i was hooked. ;) it just got better and better

Jessica Miller Book review on fleek!

kianna mcbride U do not know what u are talking bout I was good

message 14: by Idalia (new) - added it

Idalia Francisco I LOVE your review! You have given me the motivation to pick this book up! thanks!

message 13: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby It is a wonderful book. Beautiful and terrible-- but mostly beautiful. Friendship is an amazing thing to always be cherished. As Verity said "I like "kiss me Hardy" better. Those are fine last words."

message 12: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Best book review I have ever read! This book has been on my "to read" shelf for awhile. I'm starting tonight. Thank you!

message 11: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise Griffin Seriously such a crazy roller coaster of a book

message 10: by Benita (new) - added it

Benita Your description of your reaction to the book is so compelling that I've just added it to the "must read list." Thanks!

message 9: by Revathy (new) - added it

Revathy Nair If a review is this good, then I too want to join the emotional rollercoaster ☺

message 8: by Najrit (new) - added it

Najrit Fe m well, after such a passionate review, I have to read it now don't I?

Jillian Levi took the words out of my mouth! :)

Kaylyn King I read this book solely on your review and was not dissappointed! Thank you!

message 5: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Rb Okay - you've convinced me - great review!

message 4: by Aprille (new) - added it

Aprille C Well, you sold me!

message 3: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena I love this review!! This book is currently in my library, and your review has made me certain I need to take a copy of this book out of the library!!

message 2: by Sherry (new) - added it

Sherry Patterson Ok! On my list. Love books on World War II

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Haha Kate, great review, I was rolling around laughing at this. (Oh and the book is great too, didn't quite manage it in one evening though, that is impressive in itself Kate)