Eric's Reviews > Wolfblade

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Eric by: Nick Bozenko
Recommended for: Political fantasy fans
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I decided to read this series after reading Jennifer Fallon's Second Sons trilogy, which was phenomenal. I know I'm only one book in, but I am not as in love with this series so far.

My assessment may not be 100% fair, as I started the series with this book (the first book in the Hythrun Chronicles), which is the chronological start of the series, and not with Medalon (the first book in the Demon Child Trilogy), which was written first. So I may not be getting certain foreshadowing that I would if I had read the Demon Trilogy before this prequel.

The pacing is a little slow and it seems like all the action takes place "off-camera", and the narrative voice switches so frequently, it is hard to develop an emotional attachment to any of the characters. Riika and Wrayan were the characters I felt the closest to, and Riika was abruptly murdered, and Wrayan disappears halfway through the book.

Despite those reservations, the story is epic in scope and is a page-turner. I am also hoping the story picks up in Warrior, the next book in the series, which I've already started reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfblade.