Anzuai's Reviews > Maximum Ride, Vol. 1

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 by James Patterson

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: manga-sci-fi
Read in August, 2011

Ok, let me first say something: I picked up this book knowing nothing about it, and because I was desperate to read something new. And I absolutely loved it!
This is the manga version of the original book for Young Adults (mainly) by James Patterson, and it's very skillfully transformed into the new format. Excellent art, brilliant dialogue and characters so real you feel they might just jump off the page!
Before I go into a bit more detail, if you're thinking of buying this book then DO IT!! Buy it NOW! You won't be able to put it down, the plot keeps your on the edge of your seat the whole way through. I read it all in one sitting!

The main character, Max, is a great lead. She's super cool, and really appeals to a teenage reader. The story starts off with her dreaming about people chasing her, and in her dream she has wings. This part (if you have the same version as me) is done in colour, which is a great start to the book. After she wakes up, we're introduced to the rest of the gang; Gazzy, Angel, Fang, Nudge and Iggy, who all have various and wonderful talents.
The main twist in the plot (stop reading now if you haven't read it yet!) is the arrival of the Erasers, terrifying wolf-like creatures who are led by Jeb's son Ari. Their arrival is drawn over a double-page spread, which draws the reader directly into the suspense. After kidnapping Angel, they fly off and take her to the School, a place where Jeb freed the others from years ago.
I'm not going to go into much more detail about this plot, because it's fairly self-explainitory, Max and the others plan to rescure Angel and run into mysteries about the Erasers, Ari, their parents and Jeb himself along the way.
The book ends with a cliffhanger (I'm not saying what it is) which made me yell "Wait, say WHAT!!" ^_^'

I'm going to end my review with a simple list of why you should get this book: 1. Brilliant characters 2. Stunning art 3. An involving and fast-paced, action packed plotline!

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maximum Ride, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Jewell (new)

Jewell I just picked it up out of my brothers room and maximum ride has got to be the best series ever. I'm so glad I found it I was running out of good things to read : D