Alessandra's Reviews > Kvinnligt Mode Under Två Sekel

Kvinnligt Mode Under Två Sekel by Britta Hammar

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: 18th-century, 19th-century, clothing, costume, fashion, sewing, patterns, dress

I wish I spoke Swedish! This marvelous book showcases more than two dozen beautiful women's garments from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with full color photographs inside and out showing details of construction. Before that it has a great illustrated introduction to fashions of the time, with period color fashion plates. After that it has a long section on sewing methods of the time, and finally it has 26 (if I counted right) patterns measured from the garments themselves.

Even not speaking Swedish, it's pretty easy to use this book to recreate wonderful historical clothing reproductions. But oh, I must be missing so much not being able to read it.

(I even got a Swedish-English dictionary in hopes of thrashing through some of it, but it turns out Swedish specialized sewing vocabulary is unlikely to show up in a translating dictionary, just as those trying to learn English sewing terms from a translating dictionary will be mystified by words such as "armscye" and "selvedge". Alas.)

Still, it's a beautiful book and so beautifully and intelligently put together that even not being able to read a word of Swedish, you can get a lot out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kvinnligt Mode Under Två Sekel.