Jessica's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Jul 09, 14

bookshelves: on-my-shelf, 2012-reading-challenge, favorites, comedy-humor, memoir, review
Read from April 25 to May 24, 2012

See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

Jenny Lawson is better known in the blogosphere as The Bloggess. I first discovered her blog upon reading this post (thebloggess.com/2012/01/the-fight-goe...) after being linked to it from another site. I subscribed to her posts, not knowing much about her, and discovered that she was one of the most hilarious persons I’ve ever known. If her blog posts could have me laughing out loud, her book would have to be more funny. AND IT WAS. This book is, as she puts it, “a mostly true memoir” where she chronicles numerous events in her life. We’re taken through a maze of memories from her childhood with her parents and sister to adulthood with her husband and daughter.

You would think that reading a memoir could be boring… oh sweetie… not even. I picked this up right before I went to bed one night. MISTAKE. Not to read it in general, but to read it when everyone is in bed. Why? Because I almost laughed so hard that if I hadn’t shoved my face into a pillow I would have woken up everybody in the house who would then come to my door and demand why I’m laughing so hard. And to explain what was so funny would be not only hard to explain easily but also hard to speak without laughing and rolling around on the floor. I did end up reading the first paragraph of the first chapter to a friend and I could hardly get through the first half without doubling over.

What is so funny about what Jenny Lawson says? She is very straightforward about the things the majority would consider taboo to speak of so… frankly. Sometimes her thoughts fly off into left field, completely deviating from the original story to tell another story slightly irrelevant to the first. But the fact that she is so honest, direct, and outspoken makes these bizarre stories and thoughts so outrageously hilarious. She says everything you were thinking but would never admit, and everything you could be thinking if your train of thought ever went in that direction.

Let’s Pretend This Never Happened is, BY FAR, the most hilarious thing I have ever, or will ever read (until she publishes another book). I’m usually fairly conservative when it comes to expressing myself. I don’t go overboard--I’m very shy, even on this blog. Reading this book has opened me up to new heights. I want to be more funny, like I am in my head and around the people I am close to. Jenny Lawson had me not just laughing but applauding her for turning a phrase so perfectly. I recommend anyone who is not easily offended to check her out, not just her book, but also her blog. I suggest starting with this post (http://thebloggess.com/2011/10/missin...), as it is one of my favorites.

My Rating:

Exceptional: Stay up until at least 1 AM

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

Quotes Jessica Liked

“Because you are defined not by life's imperfect moments, but by your reaction to them. And because there is joy in embracing - rather than running from - the utter absurdity of life.”
Jenny Lawson, Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

“I picked up the phone to call the police, but then I considered how it would sound when I told them that I was calling from inside my bathroom, where I’d OD’ed on laxatives, and that a possible rapist was quietly passing me notes under the bathroom door.”
Jenny Lawson, Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir