Khairul H.'s Reviews > Love, InshAllah: The Secret Love Lives of American Muslim Women

Love, InshAllah by Nura Maznavi

Feb 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: essays-journals-letters
Read from February 03 to 04, 2012

(The following review is an excerpt from my blog: The Malaysian Reader

There are stories of arranged marriages like Aisha Saeed’s “Leap of Faith” who was so adamant against the idea that when the boy’s family asked for a photo, she did her best to pose with an annoyed look. Far from driving him away with the look, it intrigued him. “Love In The Time Of Biohazards” is an endearing and humorous story about a spouse taking care of his wife, Melody Meozzi, who is suffering from pancreatic cancer and “A Prayer Answered” is about a Muslimah looking for love from another Muslimah. Gay love. I’m half expecting this book to be included in Malaysia’s 2012 list of banned books. Or maybe it won’t be sold here at all. I bought mine from Amazon.

Most of the stories are by women of Middle Eastern and South Asian descent and a few converts to Islam but there’s one from Malaysian-American Aida Rahim whose journey to find her one true love prompted her husband to say, “we plan and God laughs”. True that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, InshAllah.

message 1: by Hani (new)

Hani Ouchh... quite heavy..don't u think?

Khairul H. Heavy? Nope. Not light either. It's just an honest look at American Muslim women looking for love.