Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Captivate

Captivate by Carrie Jones

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: children-young-adult, paranormal-supernatural, beautiful-cover, 2012, pixies
Read from February 11 to 12, 2012

I liked Captivate, but I think I liked Need better.

While I liked Zara and Nick's relationship in Need, it was a little too corny and over the top for me. And I didn't like Zara as much either. Her whole "I don't want to be a pixie because they're evil but in the end, I'm going to turn pixie to get Nick out of Valhalla even though he hates pixies because I need to save him and no one else can do it" thing was really annoying. I was hoping that she wouldn't turn pixie, but unfortunately, she did.

With a pixie war looming, this book felt like it was a setup for the next one, and there are hints at a potential love triangle in the next book. She is Astley's pixie queen, and Jones does get some credit for hinting at it to save everyone. I have the feeling she might end up with Astley if there is a love triangle. Oh, who am I kidding, that's probably what is going to happen in the next couple books. These pixies seem hellbent on having Zara as their pixie queen.

It was no surprise that Issie and Devyn ended up together, although it was surprising it didn't happen in the first book. Zara was complaining and whining a lot, Nick was super-protective, and Issie and Devyn were just there. Cassidy and Astley were a breath of fresh air next to everyone else.

It does seem like Zara is (possibly) facing her fears, because she only recited phobias a few times. I did miss it though. And each chapter is now headed by a pixie tip, which was fun, because pixies are out to get Zara. I liked how her skin would randomly turn blue and I liked the Norse mythology that was introduced. Like the mysterious Valkyrie that appeared and eventually took Nick to Valhalla.

Overall, it gets a 3 out of 5. I liked it, but Captivate was not very captivating. I'm hoping the next one is better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captivate.