Tammara's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Oct 14, 12

Read from September 26 to October 13, 2012

I'll admit it - I'm a sucker for a guy with the ability to command a room, his peers, and total strangers by the tone of his voice, his vocabulary, and the absolute knowledge of who he is. He has money, or he will, and he knows it. If there's a dilemma he wants to solve, he'll solve it. If an injustice annoys him, he will right it. Insecure superiors are a bit afraid he makes them something less just by sharing physical space, and their fears are probably founded.

So unlike our heroine, the very sensible Blue Sargent, Richard Gansey III knocked me for a loop immediately. To Blue, on the other hand, Gansey is a "Raven Boy" - and as such, he's lumped into the category of local prep-school adolescent males who are privledged, arrogant, obnoxious and rich. He is someone to be avoided - if possible, and ignored if not.

Too bad that her first sight of him showed him at his most vulnerable and hopeless, and she can't shake that knowledge. Too bad that she's attracted to one of his best friends - Aglionby scholarship student and fellow townie Adam. Too bad that as the non-psychic daughter of the town psychic, she can't help getting pulled into Gansey's quest for a fabled source of magic - a magic that calls to her as well. Too bad that she's lived her life under a curse that never mattered before, but slowly begins to be everything: If she kisses her true love, he will die. But who is Blue's true love? And when she comes toe-to-toe with that disastrous prophecy, will she dare it to be true, or deny herself to save the life of the boy she loves?

Maggie Stiefvater's perfectly constructed characters are engrossing - I could visualize them by their personality traits alone. Her vivid prose creates a fresh story full of mystery and magic, tinged with the beginnings of a romantic triangle. Blue transforms from the only non-clairvoyant in a house full of witches to a crucial part of the puzzle Gansey is compelled to piece together. There is a slow build to this story, complete with shocking revelations and bonds forged and broken as Gansey and his classmates - Adam, Ronan and Noah - come closer to unearthing an ancient secret, thanks to a girl who appears to be the key to it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kendra /Books Complete Me Great review! I agree with everything you said, and absolutely love this book, as well as the characters in it.

Trisha yes I agree - insightful review. I too, am interested in the dynamics of those three characters - who is Blue meant to love? And that whole end thing with Adam... and Rohan... Ah, a good book - so many questions still to answer.

Beth Whiteman I've already read this book three times. I literally love everything about this book. Except, of course, that I have to wait a year to read the next one. Curse you, Stiefvater. *Shakes fist

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel this book is fantastic - I found the first couple of chapters hard going and although i loved a lot of the descriptive pose some of it seemed slightly misplaced in context but its a gripping read and I,ve consumed it in almost 2 days with four chapters to go - have to say Maggie Stiefvater has done it again!